John W. Emery Inc. -- "the Albany Shoe Hustler"

54 N Pearl Albany John W Emery Inc building looking up

So many times we've passed this building on N. Pearl Street in downtown Albany and admired the facade -- the way it frames the windows, the floral adornments placed along the border, even the straightforward typography of the above the entryway.

And pretty much every time we've walked by this place, we've wondered: What is the John. W. Emery Inc.?

This week we finally decided to find out.

John W. Emery was the owner of a chain of shoe stores around the Capital Region at the start of the 20th century. This 1916 obituary from the Boot and Shoe Record is a quick recap of his career:

John W. Emery, the well known Albany, N.Y. shoe merchant died at the Homeopathic Hospital, January 24th, after an illness of about three weeks, at the age of 59. Mr. Emery operated five shoe stores, two in Albany, and stores in Schenectady, Cohoes, and Saratoga.
Born in Kennebunkport, Maine in October 1856, as a young man he went to Boston and from there to Troy, where he lived twelve years before going to Albany eighteen years ago to open a shoe store at 138 North Pearl Street. To his persistent energy, unfailing fairness and wide knowledge of the trade is attributed his success.
Mr Emery was a trustee of the Calvary Methodist Church, Albany, from its inception; a director of the Albany County Bank; a governor of the Homeopathic Hospital, a director of the Y.M.C.A., and a prominent member of the Chamber of Commerce. He is survived by a widow, a daughter and two sons, one of whom, Wesley, was identified with him in the store.

Emery bought shoe stores in Albany, Schenectady, and Saratoga Springs from another shoe chain, S. B. Thing & Co., in 1898, according to a note in Boot and Shoe Record.

An 1898 ad in the Altamont Enterprise touts "John W. Emery's Large Double Shoe Stores, 85 and 87 North Pearl St" and "specials in warm shoes for cold feet at Emery's, the Albany Shoe Hustler..."

John W Emery shoes ad 1898 Altamont Enterprise
clipped from NYS Historic Newspapers archive

Below is a 1927 photo of the 54 N. Pearl Street location from the Albany Public Library History Collection, which shows the store in operation (at that link you can zoom in to see the window displays) and the building in much better condition. (It looks like there were offices for an accounting firm on the upper floors.) The building dates to 1920, according to city tax records.

54 N Pearl Albany John W Emery building 1927

During his life, Emery and his family lived in Pine Hills on Western Ave, not far from where the street converges with Madison Ave. At some point after his death, it looks his family moved around the corner to West Lawrence Street, according to city directories. The family also had a summer home in Lake George.

The Emerys had another son, Samuel, who had also worked in the family shoe business. He died three years before his father, just a year after graduating from Williams, from injuries sustained during a fall from a horse.

After John W.'s death in 1916, Wesley Emery announced the business would continue as it had. Or as it was stated in Boot and Shoe Record, "practically the same management will obtain, and that the policies at the root of the firm's success will be continued without change."

We couldn't find a record of when the shoe store closed. (Maybe you know and can share.)

54 N Pearl Albany John W Emery building wide

At some point along the way, the lower portion of the building's front was replaced, taking out the display windows.

The building is now vacant. (There was a pigeon walking around inside when we peered through the windows last week.) And it's for sale.

Find It

John W. Emery Inc. building
54 N. Pearl Street
Albany, NY 12207

Comments

Thanks for sharing.

Here's the family's monument in Albany Rural Cemetery:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=Emery&GSfn=John&GSiman=1&GScid=63827&GRid=136413238&

Plot: Lot 12; Section 109

Man someone really ruined those first floor entrances for this building and the building to the left. They look a lot better back then compared to today.

The Homeopathic Hospital was at 161 N. Pearl, according to this. That's now the federal building at the corner of Pearl & Clinton. Most likely the YMCA that Emery was a director of was on the corner of Pearl & Steuben, where Pearl St Pub was until recently. Love the marketing: "How can we do it? Never mind..."

And for those who don't know, the Homeopathic Hospital still exists. It's just called Albany Memorial these days.
http://hoxsie.org/2012/03/02/nursing_napkin_rings_and_plain_underclothing/

Say Something!

We'd really like you to take part in the conversation here at All Over Albany. But we do have a few rules here. Don't worry, they're easy. The first: be kind. The second: treat everyone else with the same respect you'd like to see in return. Cool? Great, post away. Comments are moderated so it might take a little while for your comment to show up. Thanks for being patient.

What's All Over Albany?

All Over Albany is for interested and interesting people in New York's Capital Region. In other words, it's for you. It's kind of like having a smart, savvy friend who can help you find out what's up. Oh, and our friends call us AOA.

Search

Recently on All Over Albany

An opinion on blood plasma centers, methadone clinics, a large logo, and other exciting tales of the Albany Planning Board

Exciting Tales of the Albany Planning Board is a program recorded before a live studio audience once a month in which the fates of multi-million... (more)

Exploring Washington County

The rural, rolling hills of Washington County are just about an hour northeast of Albany on a scenic ride along Route 40. The county is... (more)

Morning Blend

Next Albany police chief + Kathy Sheehan has appointed Eric Hawkins to be the next Albany police chief. He's currently the police chief in Southfield,... (more)

The Cornplanter pipe tomahawk

We got a chance this week to stop in the State Museum and see an interesting artifact that's newly on display, Cornplanter's Pipe Tomahawk. The... (more)

Stuff to do this weekend

We're in the thick of the summer now. Long days, lemonade, blueberries, ice cream, and a bounty of stuff to do. We collected a few... (more)

Recent Comments

... The theft itself of this important Native American artifact is an important part of its story. It's really a miracle that almost 70 years later that the Cornplanter pipe tomahawk ended up back at the State Museum, instead of remaining in someone's secret, private collection acquired illicitly, or even worse, not cared for professionally and therefore damaged, destroyed, or lost forever.

Exploring Washington County

...has 2 comments, most recently from Katie

Scanning that New York State Department of Health report that argues the case for legalizing recreational marijuana

...has 12 comments, most recently from Megan m

The Cornplanter pipe tomahawk

...has 2 comments, most recently from Ed

Morning Blend for Jul 20

...has 1 comment, most recently from Amy

Local places to buy head scarves?

...has 2 comments, most recently from Summer