Ahead of last year's Super Bowl, we checked a bunch of stores to see who had the lowest beer prices.
Well, this year's Super Bowl is just a few weeks away -- and you know what, we're feeling thirsty.
So let's go beer shopping...
We priced 10 different beers at 13 different stores* over the last week. New to this year's list of stores is Rite Aid -- a few people told us last year that the drugstore chain tends to have pretty good prices on beer (the numbers shall tell).
As you can see, the beers on the list are all pretty mainstream. The question of which store has the best selection of interesting or good beers is a whole other discussion.
The prices are for a 12-pack of bottles, with one exception: Milwaukee's Best. The Beast doesn't come in bottles, so that price is for cans. Also, you'll notice that some cells have two prices -- that's the sale price followed by the regular price in parenthesis. A lot of these stores regularly offer sales, so chances are you will see variation in these prices.
The store/beer results are in a table above (scroll up).
We also averaged the prices for each store to come up with a rough sense of which store is the cheapest. Here are how the stores ranked this year for non-sale prices on an "average" 12 pack:
- Hannaford - 12.29
- Oliver's - 12.31
- Walmart - 12.37
- Westmere Beverage - 12.44
- Excelsior Beverage - 12.5
- Rite Aid - 12.62
- Hoosick St Discount Beverage - 12.64
- Waterford Beverage - 12.71
- Savemore Discount Beverage - 12.76
- Glenville Beverage - 13.00
- Price Chopper - 13.14
- Glenmont Discount Beverage - 13.19
- Minogues - 13.19
Again, we used the non-sale prices for this ranking. That might explain why Minogues, last year's overall price winner, ranked so low this year. It had the lowest price on four of the ten beers if you counted by sale price.
Now that we have two years' of beer price data, we can compare the average price for each brand against its average from last year. It appears that beer got significantly more expensive over the last year:
One more thing: drinking + driving = bad. But you knew that.
* Stores: Minogue's in Saratoga, Excelsior Beverage in Saratoga, Westmere Beverage in Guilderland, Savemore Discount Beverage in Clifton Park, Glenmont Discount Beverage in Glenmont, Oliver's in Albany, Hoosick St Discount Beverage in Troy, Waterford Beverage in Waterford, Glenville Beverage in Glenville, Hannaford on Central in Albany, Price Chopper on Central in Albany, the Walmart on Washington Ave Ext and the Rite-Aid at the University Plaza in Albany.
We'd really like you to take part in the conversation here at All Over Albany. But we do have a few rules here. Don't worry, they're easy. The first: be kind. The second: treat everyone else with the same respect you'd like to see in return. Cool? Great, post away. Comments are moderated so it might take a little while for your comment to show up. Thanks for being patient.